Saturday, June 14, 2014

In the beginning....





This crazy furniture journey started last fall when I was shopping for a cabinet in which to place our new GINORMOUS TV. With a house full of testosterone, I was persuaded that a 500" inch TV was necessary to their very existence.  And since I love watching my beloved Bruins and Dodgers, I was easily convinced.

I found a beautiful "Ballard" style console on Craigslist. And when I walked into this woman's house I was blown away by her beautifully refinished and painted antique furniture.  I was actually more excited about the paint she was using, how she did it, etc. than the console!  She was very gracious and shared all of her techniques, the brands she used, and told me how to find an Annie Sloane retailer. Oh, and we brought home the console.

Now I've done DIY projects all of my life, and come from hearty DIY stock, so I'm not a novice to painting furniture. But I was initially skeptical of this no fuss, no prime paint. But when I started painting an end table, I was an instant convert!  Great coverage and the wax finishing step was the bomb!

Pretty soon I was painting everything that wasn't tied down in the house!  And thought what if I could actually sell my pieces?  Then I started perusing garage sales, flea markets, estate sales and the strange but wonderful world of Craigslist. (One of these days, I'll have to tell some of THOSE stories.)

Next up...my first piece that I purchased with the intention of selling.

 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png



2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy and excited for you Beth. I am in the beginning stages myself. Love the 'being surrounded by testosterone' line. That was stops me sometimes from being totally girly in my makeovers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete