Monday, April 11, 2016

The Big Green Monster





You know, I did everything right with this Drexel credenza. I took it completely apart. I stripped it.  I taped up the drawers with paper to prevent overspray. I removed all of the hardware: the handles, hinges, metal magnet thingies on the doors, etc. and refinished them. I fixed nicks, gouges, scratches, and then sanded them out. I sprayed two coats of primer, with the requisite sanding in between. Three very thin coats of a really pretty green Benjamin Moore with sanding in between them as well.



And yet, this big green monster came to make my life miserable for a few days.






I waited TWO WEEKS to put it back together because the paint was still tacky. (Benjamin Moore Advance curing time is longer than I'm used to.) And when I went to put the doors back on, the (insert VERY bad words) doors wouldn't fit! Like not even close. Like they had been switched in the middle of the night with completely different doors by aliens who enjoy playing tricks on unsuspecting poor furniture refinishers.






I can't tell how you many times my husband and I took off those four doors and tried them in different positions.





Ultimately, by some stroke of luck, we were able to put it all back together and have the doors open and close. I have to profess that a few tears were shed along the way.





And I may shed even more tears when I sell it because now this big green monster is growing on me. He's listed in my Etsy shop if you're interested. (Postscript: He's been sold to a great family!)







Enjoy your day!


 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

16 comments:

  1. It's never easy, is it? It seems that every project must have a hiccup just to mess with you! It turned out very pretty. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never easy, is it? It seems that every project must have a hiccup just to mess with you! It turned out very pretty. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like some projects are meant to frustrate from the beginning! Glad you hung in there and conquered the Big Green Monster! You did a beautiful job on the finish--really smooth and pretty. Bet you're glad that's over, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad it's over! But I think it's such a pretty color I'm looking around for another "green" candidate! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I thought that stuff only happened to me!! Love ,love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I've recently bought a MCM piece to paint green with gold accents and can't wait for the weather to be cooperative so that I may start on my own Big Green Monster! What is the color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Jade Green by Benjamin Moore. Good luck with your own project!

      Delete
  6. Green with envy over the results! ... not so much for the getting there .. but your hard work paid off! This piece turned out gorgeous! I would not have had the courage to use such a bold color on a piece this size! Well done! You had the perfect vision for it and executed it so well! I hope you have an amazing day!
    Smiles!
    Terry


    The Curator's Collection & Making Broken Beautiful Party (Thursday - Sunday)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy...this doesn't look like a big green monster to me. Love the color and the shiny finish. You are inspiring me to try this bold color. Such wonderful work and such a beautiful piece. Sharing out on IG and FB... Thanks for linking to Friday's Furniture Fix. We love having you share with us. XO Susie from The Chelsea Project

    ReplyDelete
  8. That green is an absolutely show stopper! That piece could truly make a room in the right space, it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl, I know your frustrations! Sometimes these crazy things happen, but it turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate it when that happens! I have shed a few tears over some furniture pieces as well. It turned out awesome in the end though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry this one gave you trouble, but the end result is beautiful! Featured at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh and your gorgeous pieces! One day I'll have a bigger home and then I'm going to fill it with pieces from your shop!

    ReplyDelete