Wednesday, March 16, 2016

What's New in March

Well, hello there! It's been another busy month around here - finding incredible pieces of furniture, refinishing them, and then meeting the wonderful people who give them new homes!

I'd thought I'd give you an update on some pieces that I've refinished recently. The common theme in all these pieces is that they were refinished using my sprayer. Honestly, the difference in the results between hand painting and spraying is like night and day!



It's getting to the point that I can immediately (and I think my clients can, too) tell the difference between a haphazard, sloppy paint job that I see all over Craigslist these days to one that involves many hours (sometimes, days) of prep, sanding between coats, and a durable sealer before it's finished. But enough about how many hours each piece takes - let's see the "afters"!


These beautiful campaign side tables were by Dixie. I refinished them in a glossy white paint. The original brass pulls and "T" and "L" brackets were painstakingly cleaned and polished. A special thanks to my friend Christina at Phoenix Restoration for her tutorial on cleaning vintage brass hardware. It was so helpful and probably saved me hours hunched over a sink!

Vintage Campaign Nightstands - SOLD


The next dresser is another mid-century modern piece. This was my first time I've had a piece by Kroehler, and I have to say that I was very impressed with its craftmanship. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep the original finish because there were numerous issues with chipped veneer, which required a lot of patch work. But I was tickled about how cute it turned out - the glossy white paint accentuates the retro curves - and the original hardware just needed a good scrubbing!


Mid Century Dresser - SOLD



This next dresser almost ended up in my bedroom. But I couldn't figure out a way to carry it upstairs by myself before my husband got home from work! It's a gorgeous Drexel piece that I refinished in a two-tone gray color scheme with silver hardware.

Drexel French Provincial - SOLD


Check out the swoon-worthy serpentine drawers! Even my client said that pictures didn't do it justice!

Drexel - SOLD


I'm a little embarrassed to say that this next dresser sat in my garage for a year before I got up the nerve to refinish it. I knew that it wouldn't look good hand painted or with chalk paint - but I wanted to improve my spraying skills before I tackled such a gorgeous piece by Johnson Carper.

I'm so happy I was patient because it turned out exactly how I originally envisioned it. White glossy paint with glamorous gold hardware - a beauty! And a beautiful lattice-panel door that revealed even more storage.


Lattice Dresser - SOLD


This next dresser is my latest makeover and is currently for sale in my Etsy shop. Honestly, folks, this one almost killed me! Navy is a very hard color to paint - every imperfection shows up - so this piece did take longer than usual. But coupled with the shiny brass hardware it's a stunner - and pre-WWII Drexel as well!




So that's what I've been up to! It's been such a wonderful experience to improve my refinishing skills and grow my 'lil shop. It's truly turned out to be my dream job!

Until next time - and enjoy your spring!


 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png



6 comments:

  1. These are all so lovely! My favorite is the lattice dresser! I love my paint sprayer too and some pieces still call for a paint brush but the difference in the finish is amazing.... well done on all of these, you have a gifted eye for design! Visiting via French Country Cottage. I hope you have a great weekend!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    The Curator's Collection & Making Broken Beautiful
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Drexel French Provincial is gorgeous! The two-toned paint job really enhances the design, I think. I am curious about the art of spray painting large pieces like this. I'd like to know more about the process and sprayer used. All these items certainly turned out to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pieces . . . All of them! What brand sprayer do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pieces . . . All of them! What brand sprayer do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Mary Beth,
    You are such a talented Lady, with a savvy eye!
    Beautiful:)
    We are just so thrilled that you shared your time and talent with us at Thoughts Of Home On Thursday and we look forward to seeing you next week too.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the campaign tables and also really appreciate a GOOD paint job.
    Thank you for linking up this wonderful post on Thoughts of Home on Thursday. May you have a glorious Easter!

    ReplyDelete