Monday, June 20, 2016

The Best Anniversary Present Ever!





I had a client contact me a few months ago about sourcing and refinishing a vanity for his wife as a surprise for her birthday. Well, I couldn't find a good candidate for the longest time - so her present was renamed and had a new target date - as their "anniversary" present in June!

I finally found one at an estate sale near me. It had stains on the top which made it a good candidate to paint. But the only problem was the price! It was really expensive the first day, so I decided to take my chances until the second day when it would go on sale for half price.





That was a tense night - wondering if I had made the right decision - and if it would even be there in the morning. But as luck would have it, it was still there at opening and I snatched it up!

It had gorgeous lines, ornate feet and hardware. and a really beautiful mirror. The mirror was in amazing condition considering it was almost 100 years old!





After many, many coats of primer (I lost count) it was ready for the pretty stuff. We decided to use General Finishes Seagull Gray for the top and drawers, and Snow White for the body.  Here's a proof shot before I sealed it and added the hardware.





And then the entire piece was sealed with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in Satin. The hardware was refinished in a silver finish. I painted the inside of the drawers in a fun turquoise color. New padding and upholstery fabric by Waverly on the chair completed the transformation!





I didn't stage pictures of the mirror but here it is complete!







How sweet was this hubby to surprise his wife like that? She loves it, by the way.








Enjoy your summer and thanks for stopping by!


 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm Sharing

17 comments:

  1. *gasp* What a fabulous gift! That is an absolutely gorgeous piece, saving to my before and afters board, wowser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tarahlynn! I appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. omg what a beautiful piece love how it turned out thanks for sharing have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin! It was a labor of love for a great couple!

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful and a treasure that I would enjoy having in my home.
    Welcome to our TOHOT we are so glad that you joined us and hope to see you again too!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to join! Thanks for the kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful makeover! Love the color combination and especially the surprise inside the drawers. The fabric you paired with it is perfect too. I bet your client's wife was thrilled when she saw her birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Mary Beth, I'm featuring your gorgeous desk this weekend at the DIY Sunday Showcase Party.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Marie! Tickled pink to be included in such great features! Happy 4th of July!

      Delete
  6. What a stunning transformation! Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vanity is gorgeous. What a fabulous find. I always like to see drawers with a surprise and you did not disappoint. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, look at the curves on that vanity. Spectacular piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this piece so much. Those curves! That color! That pop of color! So fab! Thanks so much for linking to Friday's Furniture Fix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous work and amazing transformation. Featured and pinned to share this week at Homemade and Handcrafted. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful transformation and such a great gift. Wish it was mine.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! She must have been thrilled with her special gift. Found you on thr Scoop on night. Linda bushelandapickle.com

    ReplyDelete