Sunday, September 27, 2015

Black and White With a Little Bling!





Here in Southern California, people line up for estate sales in the middle of the night. Seriously.

I've been missing out on some great furniture because I was too late. So when I saw a preview picture of a French Provincial set, I knew immediately it was Drexel, and it needed to come home with me. Even if I needed to camp out to get a good spot in line.

So yes, I was in line at 5:00 am for an 8:00 am opening. And incredulously, I was number 24!
See what I mean about the competition? This particular estate sale had a ton of vintage jewelry and I believe that was the main draw.

Fortunately, I was able to get this highboy and two matching nightstands. It had a matching long dresser, but a lady right in front of me paid $350 for it. I thought that was a ridiculous price, so I let her have it.



These pieces sat in my shop for months before I got a chance to work on them. A long summer of custom orders, trips, hot flashes, being too hot in the garage to work, hurting my hip from moving furniture around by myself, and a week laid up with the flu.

So when it finally cooled down enough to work, I knew I wanted to do something special and creative.

All three pieces were thoroughly sanded, cleaned and primed.




I used General Finishes Lamp Black on the body and outer edges of the drawers. The inset portion of the drawers and sides were painted with General Finishes Snow White.

I loved the original gold finish on the hardware, so I decided to add a little "bling" by using Modern Masters Metallic Paint in Rich Gold. I used a tiny artist brush and painstakingly handpainted the details. This process took forever - with a million touch-ups to all three colors.




When I finished, I then sealed everything with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in Satin.




Didn't they turn out beautiful? Can't you just see these pieces in a glamorous bedroom? They're for sale in my Etsy shop. Let's hope they go to a great new home soon!




If you like this look, feel free to pin away! I've been "losing" myself in the Pinterest world lately; stop on by at Mary Beth's Place and have a look at all of the great inspiration I've been finding lately!



 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm Sharing At:

7 comments:

  1. This is simply beautiful. I love the gold accents in the metallic paint -- it adds so much to the overall look. You have inspired me to try this detailed work on a future project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barbara! It was a lot of work but really was the finishing touch!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You really put a lot of work into this piece! Well done, it looks stunning! I would like to invite you to share your posts each week at my Making Broken Beautiful Party. it has already begun but there is still time to join in.. It goes every Thursday from 6:00pm (MST) till Saturday 6:00pm (MST). It is a furniture and home decor party. I hope you can join, you have great taste!

    Smiles!
    Terry
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, Beth, you have my permission to copy my design,,, wink-wink ! Looks good! I should know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to scroll back through your designs to see what you were referring to, my Friend! I guess great minds think alike! :)

      Delete
  4. The touches of gold are a beautiful addition! Featured at Be Inspired this morning. Always love your projects!

    ReplyDelete