Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Obsession with Secretary Desks (Part Two)






This is a continuation of the story of my obsession with secretary desks. I love taking unused and unloved vintage desks and turning them into functional and beautiful pieces of furniture for another generation to cherish. They are truly labors of love, because I can guarantee you that when I factor in my time, it's probably less than what the minimum wage was in the year it was built! But they get my creative juices bubbling and in the end it makes me so happy when they end up in great new homes.

If you're interested in Part One, you can read about it here.


My Obsession With Secretary Desks


After that one, I refinished a few more that have become Pinterest favorites.

This secretary and matching chair took forever to refinish because of the "bleed" problems associated with mahogany wood.

A Fresh New Look For a Secretary Desk



This next desk was Parisian-inspired in gray and duck egg with silver accents. I hand painted and used dark wax to create texture and color variation.

Paris Chic Secretary


So when it came to refinishing my next victim, I wanted to do something special and unique. And, in case it didn't sell, would fit in with my decor! It came from a very high-end estate sale where I ended up purchasing about six pieces. Very pretty, but it had significant damage on the inside and it was beyond my refinishing expertise to try to match.






I hand painted it in General Finishes Lamp Black with light, specific strokes to emphasize the wood grain underneath.  The entire piece was sprayed with General Finishes Flat Out Topcoat to seal for protection and durability.






I left the interior upper cabinet and insert in its natural state.






I fell in love with this Nate Berkus fabric that I used on the back of the upper cabinet!






But the absolute part of this makeover? It went to a repeat client and a lovely young family!






Have a fantastic week!

 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm Sharing At:



24 comments:

  1. Hi, Beth!! I can understand your obsession with secretary desks, I am in love with them. My mom still has one, and I remember spending hours and hours with it when I was a child. Loved the little treasures I used to find there.
    Yours is now so elegant, great color choices! No wonder you sold it, it is gorgeous!
    I would love to invite you to share it with us at the party I co-host every Tuesday on my blog. Enjoy the week!
    Hugs,
    Pili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pili! I'll check out your party! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Wow I love how this turned out and especially the area you left in it's natural state. It creates such a nice affect and with the finish color that you chose is perfect. I really like that fabric you chose for the back- it will be easy to put things with it and will help accent whatever is put inside. 5 star job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for the compliment, Liz! It was a fun makeover!

      Delete
  3. Talk about perfect timing. I am working on my grandparents' secretary desk which my parents had for many years. I started a year ago! It's hot and humid here much of the year, so my time to work on it in the garage is limited. I almost had two coats of Kilz primer on it last year when it got too hot. I wasn't able to work on it over the fall/winter because our trees have leaves falling the entire time and they blow into the garage. So, the leaves are finally gone and I've resumed work. I know I found your one secretary on Pinerest a year ago when I was looking for ideas. Now my secretary will need at least two coats of paint and then I plan on putting at least two coats of a non-yellowing finish over that because I want it protected from my cats who will be jumping up on it. That's six coats altogether. No wonder it isn't done. I've decided if I don't get it done before the hot weather I'll move a portable A/C unit that I have for hurricanes out into the garage. It means the door will have to stay down and I won't have as much light, but I need to get this done! Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very welcome! It's a lot of work to paint the "right" way - but in the end, it's so worth the effort! Good luck with your project! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Beth, I've always wanted a secretary because they are so beautiful. I love the way you painted the parisian gray secretary. Gorgeous!!

    Thanks for being with us for Thoughts of Home on Thursday. We love having you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful secretaries. I have one that belonged to my great-grandmother. Very nice work on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have made an excellent case for painting and updating these lovely pieces! bravo. peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You truly have a gift for transformation! Thank you ever so much for linking up at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Your presence adds such a ray of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is both handsome and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all beautiful, it would be hard to choose a favorite!
    Visiting from Thoughts of Home.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful work. You have done some of the prettiest secretaries I've ever seen. Thanks for linking to Friday's Furniture Fix. WE love having you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just gorgeous - I LOVE these secretaries and you've done every single one of them beautifully but my favorite may be this last one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzan! I had so much fun refinishing this one!

      Delete
  13. Absolutely Gorgeous..... I have my mom's - same exact piece...... There is not a mark, scratch or ding on my mother's......

    I love, love how you left some areas as original....... Don't know if I have the nerve to attempt.... Thank you for the inspiration......

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that fabric, too! Its very eye catching and my favorite part of this makeover. Beautiful job on both pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic post! Featuring this evening on the Fridays Furniture Fix party! Thanks for linking up, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary Beth! your secretary desks are swoon worthy! I wish I could get my hands on one that was as nice as these! They just aren't that easy to find around these parts of Alberta! Thank you for sharing the eye candy, you did a beautiful job on them! I hope you have a great weekend!
    Smiles!
    Terry
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com
    Making Broken Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth: I have a similar piece and the right hinge has unattached from the drop down piece and the wood broke off where the screws would attach it. Any ideas? I notice yours all seem to have blocks of wood that pull out to support the drop down writing area? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beth: I have a similar piece and the right hinge has unattached from the drop down piece and the wood broke off where the screws would attach it. Any ideas? I notice yours all seem to have blocks of wood that pull out to support the drop down writing area? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete