Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Priscilla/Lucy the Secretary

I picked this secretary and bookcase up from a really nice elderly lady that inherited it from relatives that lived in Minnesota. When I first saw them hanging way back in her garage, covered with 20 years of dirt, I initially wasn't even certain that they went together.





The first thing I did when I got it home was give it a proper bath or two.  That's when I got really excited about my find! Original leaded glass in great condition, a leather writing pad on the inside, and all of the drawers actually worked! (Most of my pieces that are "rescues" have some sort of issues with them or I as my husband tells me, why bring home the good stuff?) It did, however, have to make a trip to Gramp's Workshop to shore up the base and fix the trim molding.

So I decided to try ASCP Old Violet on "Priscilla", so I wouldn't be tempted to keep her because she would not coordinate with any room in my house! The interior was painted in Old White. The drawer handles got a good scrub and they looked great. However, after I painted and waxed her and brought her inside, I loved her so much I was tempted to repaint and redecorate the entire downstairs so I could keep her!






Fortunately (for my husband, at least), she went to a great home to a lovely young lady. I was so impressed with her work ethic (she saved up to buy this herself) and her love of antiques.  Reminded me of myself when I bought my antique bedroom furniture as a teenager from earnings teaching piano lessons and scooping ice cream!

She renamed Priscilla to "Lucy". And here she is in her new home. Does this girl have mad styling skills or what?





 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm sharing at:


Savvy Southern Style


I'm linking up to the Metamorphosis Monday Party at the blog, Between Naps on the Porch.

3 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful piece. How long did it take you to complete?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About a week...but I let it "cure" for several days before I started the wax process. And then I waited another week before listing it for sale. I've learned that patience is the key for the best end results!

      Delete
  2. Love the color and you really gave this piece a second chance.

    ReplyDelete